After the initial step of formally accepting the World Anti-Doping Code (Code) by signing a Code acceptance form, the Signatory then determines how the Code is to be best implemented into its rules, regulations and/or policies to ensure compliance. These draft anti-doping rules must be submitted to WADA for review, in either English or French, to be assessed as in line with the Code. WADA provides Model Rules to assist Signatories with this requirement.
The next step is the implementation of anti-doping programs that are compliant with the Code and International Standards including:
- Anti-doping education and information
- Conducting testing
Test distribution planning
Maintenance of Registered Testing Pools Managing Athlete Biological Passports Collecting samples from athletes Organizing the analysis of samples
- Gathering of intelligence and conducting investigations
- Processing of TUE applications
- Results Management
- Complying with data privacy requirements
- Monitoring and enforcing compliance with any consequences imposed on other Signatories
Signatories must also report on Code compliance to WADA, upon request, by:
- Completing the Code Compliance Questionnaire (CCQ)
- Responding to Information Requests or Mandatory Information Requests (MIRs)
- Collaborating with WADA audits
- Responding and addressing corrective actions provided by WADA
- Providing any other documents, reports or data requested by WADA
It is an integrated and sustainable program of self-assessment, monitoring, audits, management of risks and opportunities, and continual development. This evolutionary process is supported by WADA at all stages, with the objective that compliance becomes ‘business as usual’ for all Signatories.
Stakeholders worldwide have accepted the Code and have agreed to enforce the applicable provisions of the Code in their policies, statutes, rules and regulations and implement the respective anti-doping programs.
- Model Rules to help Anti-Doping Organizations (ADOs) with their regulatory obligations.
- Resources to assist Signatories to understand their responsibilities and implement effective anti-doping programs. Technical documents, guidelines, templates and education tools are available on ADEL.
- Workshops, symposia and webinars scheduled around key times to provide Signatories with tailored information and face-to-face access to compliance experts so that support is readily available and accessible
- Ongoing advice and support to Signatories through WADA's Regional Offices and departments.