At the request of WADA, Jean-Paul Costa wrote legal opinions regarding the draft versions of the 2015 and 2021 World Anti-Doping Codes (Code).
The legal opinion regarding the draft 2015 Code, which was published in June 2013, examined the issue of the compatibility of several provisions of the draft revision of the Code with the accepted principles of international law and human rights.
The legal opinion regarding the draft 2021 Code was published in September 2019.
Other Legal Opinions
Other legal opinions have carefully examined legal aspects of the Code, including:
- A. Rigozzi, Conformity of the Exclusion of ‘Team Athletes’ from Organized Training during their Period of Ineligibility with Swiss Law (July 2008).
- G. Kaufmann-Kohler, G. Malinverni, A. Rigozzi, Conformity of Certain Provisions of the Draft WADC with Commonly Accepted Principles of International Law (February 2003).
- C. Rouiller, Article 10.2 of the WADC and Swiss Law (October 2005).
- G. Kaufmann-Kohler, A. Rigozzi, Conformity of Art. 10.6 with Fundamental Rights of Athletes (November 2007).
CAS Advisory Opinion on FIFA Compliance with the World Anti-Doping Code (rendered on April 21, 2006): CAS 2005/C/976 & 986, FIFA & WADA - CAS Advisory Opinion on FIFA Compliance with WADC.
Legal Articles on the Code
- E. Parham, Australia and the World Anti-Doping Code, 1999-2008 (June 2008) (Original version in English)
- O. Niggli, J. Sieveking, Selected Case Law Rendered Under the World Anti-Doping Code (February 2006). This article was published in the February 2006 issue of the Swiss legal newsletter Jusletter.
- R. H. McLaren, CAS Doping jurisprudence: What can we learn? (February 2006). This article was published in the February 2006 issue of the Sweet & Maxwell’s International Sports Law Review.