On a yearly basis, we promote and fund Scientific Research Grant Projects on the
- Development or optimization of analytical tools for the detection of doping substances or methods
- Growth of the Athlete Biological Passport (ABP)
- Pharmacology of prohibited substances or drug combinations
We prioritize projects with direct and imminent applicability (including human studies where relevant) in our efforts towards clean sport. Therefore, we rarely fund basic research projects. We encourage applicants to submit translational research beyond the discovery stage, and the proposed projects should aim for concrete deliverables by the end of the funding period.
2022 Call for Proposals
The application deadline for the 2022 Scientific Research Grants is 1 March 2022 at 23:55 GMT. For further information, please contact our Science & Medicine Department.
WADA is committed to funding research projects and adding to the knowledge base by publishing in peer reviewed journals.
Since 2001, we have committed more than US$86.5 million to helping researchers around the world develop breakthroughs in anti-doping science. These grants are critical because they increase the volume of research dedicated to developing new and improved detection methods for performance-enhancing substances and methods and attract the best minds to this cause.
Since 2001, WADA has funded projects in the following areas:
- Compounds/Methods Enhancing Growth
- Compounds/Methods Enhancing Oxygen Delivery
- Exogenous and Endogenous Anabolic Steroids
- Detection of prohibited substances/methods: classic methodologies e.g. chromatographic, immunological and biochemical
- Gene and Cellular Technologies applied to Sports
- Identification and detection of substances with doping potential
- Pharmacology of prohibited substances