WADA Strategic Testing Expert Advisory Group discusses a number of enhancements to the Global Anti-Doping Program
The World Anti-Doping Agency’s (WADA’s) Strategic Testing Expert Advisory Group (STEAG) met virtually on 3 and 13 April 2023 and focused its discussions on the following topics:
- Additional measures to improve the identification of athletes when being tested and considering criteria to mandate the long-term storage of samples as part of an effort to prevent and/or detect doppelgangers and achieve greater harmonization for Anti-Doping Organizations (ADOs) around these two areas. As a result, WADA will consider the revision and enhancement of the relevant Articles as part of the review of the International Standard for Testing and Investigations (ISTI), which will kick off with stakeholder consultation in September 2023 as endorsed by the Executive Committee on 9 May;
- The Anti-Doping Administration and Management System (ADAMS) enhancements carried out over the last six months, including: creation of the ADAMS Testing Working Group; an update on WADA’s 2023 IT Roadmap; and, the DCO Central paperless application. As a result, the STEAG recommends that the development of further functionality enhancements of DCO Central is prioritized by WADA; and that, an improved tracking system, for samples requiring fast turnaround analysis, also be part of future enhancements in ADAMS;
- The results of an initial analytical review of the revised criteria for suitable Specific Gravity of a urine sample that were included in the ISTI in 2020;
- Updates on the Athlete Biological Passport and Dried Blood Spot (DBS) implementation;
- The creation of a Working Group of members from the STEAG that will be conducting a partial review of the Technical Document for Sport Specific AnalysisTDSSA) since its inception in 2015 as well as a new Working Group that will assist with further development of DBS project. The STEAG Working Group will provide initial recommendations for any proposed changes to the TDSSA at the next STEAG meeting planned for the second half of 2023; and
- The timeframes for the global review process of the ISTI.
In the interest of providing further insight to stakeholders regarding the matters covered during these meetings, we are also pleased to share a more complete Summary of Outcomes.
Should you have any questions or comments regarding the work of the STEAG, we invite you to contact firstname.lastname@example.org