WADA Compliance Review Committee discusses way forward for compliance monitoring in light of COVID-19
The World Anti-Doping Agency’s (WADA’s) independent Compliance Review Committee (CRC) met virtually on 6 and 7 October 2020 to discuss a number of important issues relating to WADA’s compliance program.
In particular, in light of the growing number of Anti-Doping Organizations (ADOs) that have been able to resume anti-doping activities despite the continuing COVID-19 pandemic, it was decided that WADA would restart issuing formal Corrective Action Reports with deadlines to Signatories of the World Anti-Doping Code (Code). Signatories were advised of this change earlier today.
In addition, the Committee discussed:
- WADA’s ongoing monitoring of the Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA) and the International Weightlifting Federation (IWF);
- WADA’s compliance monitoring plan for the remainder of 2020 and proposals for 2021, which includes the conduct of virtual audits to temporarily replace in-person audits due to ongoing travel restrictions and public health guidance;
- A proposal to extend the current Policy for WADA’s Initial Application of the International Standard for Code Compliance by Signatories until 31 December 2021;
- The way forward in relation to WADA’s guidance for National Anti-Doping Organizations (NADOs) to comply with the strengthened operational independence requirements of the 2021 World Anti-Doping Code;
- WADA’s Strategic Plan and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) related to compliance for the period 2020-2024; and
- WADA’s 2021 Operational Plan for compliance and the implementation of WADA’s 2020 Annual Compliance Plan as a result of the findings from its 2019 Compliance Annual Report.
The CRC is responsible for providing independent advice, guidance and recommendations to WADA Management and governing bodies on matters relating to Signatories' compliance with their obligations under the Code. The CRC Chair, the Hon. James Wood QC, will report to the next meetings of WADA’s ExCo and Foundation Board that will be held virtually on 11-12 November 2020.
For more information on Code compliance, please visit the Code Compliance section of WADA’s website.