Launched in May 2021, DCO Central is WADA’s new doping control sample collection app for tablets, available for download from the Apple Store and Google Play. The app provides Doping Control Officers (DCOs) from Anti-Doping Organizations (ADOs) and Sample Collection Agencies (SCAs) with an online and offline solution for secure and fast data collection as part of doping control sample collection, which is now entirely paperless.
DCO Central is the third important module that has been released as part of WADA’s Anti-Doping Administration and Management System (ADAMS) ‘Next Gen’ project and follows the Agency’s successful deployment of Athlete Central in 2019 and its Testing Center in early 2020. As was the case with Athlete Central and the Testing Center, prior to releasing DCO Central, it was tested with stakeholders.
DCO Central has real-time access to athletes’ whereabouts information to reduce unsuccessful test attempts. It is also intended to enhance athlete confidence that their rights are protected adequately thanks to multi-lingual notification and sample collection. Athletes are guided through testing (and their associated rights and responsibilities) by the app in the language of their choosing, even when the DCO is using a different language.
Other features of DCO Central include:
- A simplified Doping Control Form, with significant information pre-populated from ADAMS;
- Automated ADAMS synching, delivering testing instructions to sample collection personnel and doping control data back into ADAMS in real time;
- Reporting features, such as the ability to immediately notify the relevant ADO of an unsuccessful testing attempt that may constitute a missed test, thereby improving the speed and efficiency of results management;
- Full single sign-on and secure log-on features to maintain the integrity of athlete data imported onto the tablet;
- Tablet-based applications on both android and iOS platforms;
- Online and offline functionality to support testing at locations without reliable wi-fi or network coverage.