WADA invites stakeholders to the Xth International Conference on Novel Psychoactive Substances; issues call for abstracts
The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) is pleased to invite stakeholders to the Xth International Conference on Novel Psychoactive Substances (NPS). The hybrid event, which will take place in Abu Dhabi, UAE and via live stream from 6-8 November 2023, is jointly organized by WADA, the International Society for the Study of Emergent Drugs, the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction, the Center for Forensic Science Research and Education, the NAT Centre, the University of Trento and the University of Hertfordshire.
Under the UNODC definition, NPS are substances of abuse, either in a pure form or a preparation, that are not controlled by international conventions, but which may pose a public health threat.
The main objectives of the conference are to:
- Share evidence-based information on NPS, with an update on the situation during the COVID-19 pandemic;
- Improve the understanding of clinical treatment and management of NPS use;
- Explore policy and legislative responses to NPS;
- Develop innovative prevention measures for vulnerable individuals;
- Share analytical approaches to NPS detection and identification;
- Understand the pharmacology and effects of NPS in sport and societal contexts;
- Identify public health implications of NPS;
- Explore motivations and socio-cultural factors underlying NPS use; and
- Network and provide the opportunity to meet leading experts in the field.
Stakeholders who are interested in attending the conference are invited to register on the conference website. Stakeholders interested in presenting their work are invited to submit their abstracts on the conference website by 31 March 2023.
Should you have any questions regarding the conference, we invite you to contact the organizers directly