Reminder: 30 September deadline for athletes to apply to WADA’s 2023 Athlete Council
Further to the World Anti-Doping Agency’s (WADA’s) communication of 6 September, WADA wishes to remind athletes interested in being considered for the Agency’s new 20-member Athlete Council to submit their application by 30 September 2022.
The remaining seven spots (referred to as Group 3) will be selected by the Athlete Council Appointment Panel to fill skills and diversity gaps not otherwise sufficiently provided for by Groups 1 and 2.
The Athlete Council will be composed of athletes’ representatives chosen by athletes and grouped as follows:
- Group 1: Five athletes appointed by the International Olympic Committee’s and International Paralympic Committee’s Athlete Commissions;
- Group 2: Eight athletes elected by the Athlete Commissions of International Federations (IFs); and
- Group 3: Seven other athletes, to be selected by the Athlete Council Appointment Panel (“Panel”) made up by a majority of athletes, to fill skills and diversity gaps.
GROUP 3 APPOINTMENT
The Group 3 rules were drafted in consultation with WADA’s current Athlete Committee and include:
- eligibility criteria for candidates;
- application procedure for candidates;
- procedural steps for setting up the Athlete Council Appointment Panel;
- appointment criteria;
- inaugural appointment procedure; and
- protection of personal information.
To be eligible to apply, athletes are required to meet eligibility criteria, as outlined in Article 3 of WADA’s Athlete Council Appointment Procedure. These include:
- Being an International-Level Athlete as defined by the World Anti-Doping Code (Code);
- Being bound by the Code; and
- Meeting the two criteria above within the last nine years before taking office for the first time.
A candidate who stood on the ballot for election to Group 2 of the Athlete Council, but who was not elected, is eligible to apply. Members of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Athletes’ Commission and the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) Athletes’ Council are not eligible to apply.
A candidate who has been a past member of WADA’s Athlete Committee is eligible to apply, as long as the maximum membership of nine years has not been reached.
The candidate must have reached the age of 18 no later than by the date of the deadline that applications must be received by.
The candidate must not be Provisionally Suspended or serving a period of Ineligibility under the Code.
The candidate must be able to communicate effectively in English. The two working languages of WADA are English and French; while, the primary working language of the Athlete Council will be English.
Skills and Diversity Criteria
The purpose of the appointment process for Group 3 members is to fill skills and diversity gaps not otherwise sufficiently provided for by Groups 1 and 2 and thereby ensure that the Athlete Council can adequately represent athletes and conduct its work.
Skills that have been identified and that are to be considered by the Panel may include experience, knowledge, or expertise in the following areas:
- Athlete Committee
- Athlete Representation
- Human Resources
- Human Rights
- Policy Development
- Strategic Planning
- WADA Athlete Committee
The diversity criteria to be considered by the Panel should include, but not be limited to the following:
Applying for the Athlete Council
Candidates must nominate themselves for the Athlete Council by sending the following by 30 September 2022 to WADA (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- a detailed Curriculum Vitae or biography;
- a motivation letter;
- confirmation that they meet the Council eligibility criteria; and
- confirmation that they both have the time and ability to take part in the activities of the Council.
Athlete Council Appointment Panel
The Panel will be composed of three members:
- Two members from the Athlete Council; one elected by Group 1 among its members and one elected by Group 2 among its members.
- One member of WADA’s Nominations Committee appointed by the Nominations Committee.
The following table outlines the applicable timelines that will apply to the Group 3 appointment process.
Steps for Group 3
Public call for Interest – general list of skills listed
6 September to 30 September
Group 1 and Group 2 meet to appoint their representatives on the Appointment Panel
Week of 12 or 19 September
Panel meet to determine process, including development of assessment of skills and diversity of Groups 1 and 2
Week of 19 or 26 September
Review, interview process etc. including consultation with WADA President
30 September to 9 December
Successful candidates advised, including the process to elect Chair and Members for the Foundation Board
On 14 December, this date was revised to the week of 2 January 2023
For more information on the Athlete Council, please visit WADA’s dedicated webpage.
Should you have any questions, please feel free to direct them to email@example.com.