A worldwide research study, performed by Alessandro Donati and published in February 2007, assembles information and data that may be used as the basis for an estimate of the total volume of traffic of doping substances on a world scale.The report is indicative of the challenges facing the anti-doping movement—the lack of national laws in many countries and the failure to enforce existing laws in others, as well as the dearth of reliable information to accurately describe the problem and develop solutions. To WADA’s knowledge, this study is the only attempt at quantifying the problem and identifying trends on an international level by pulling together into one report the information available on the recent history of the international trafficking of doping substances.
The picture painted by this ambitious study should sound the alarm to the international community, and particularly to those governments that have yet to commit to outlawing the manufacture, supply and possession of doping substances.
Alessandro Donati's Biography
Having served most recently as head of research and development for the Italian National Olympic Committee (CONI), Donati is widely known as an outspoken critic of doping in sport and has committed much of his career to combat the use of performance-enhancing drugs. Donati received a degree in athletics (speed and middle distance races) from the Central School of Sport of CONI, and a degree in Science of coaching from the University Claude Bernard in Lyon, France. In the 1980s, Donati coached Italy’s national athletics team.
In addition, Donati has held many significant institutional positions:
- Member, Executive Board, “Libera” Association against Mafia (2004-2007)
- Member, Scientific National Commission for Drugs Addiction (2006-2007)
- Member, National Commission for Italian Ministry of Sport (2006-2007)
- Adviser to Italian Minister of Solidarietà Sociale (2006-2007)
- Adviser to prosecutors in several criminal investigations against doping (1998-2006)
- Scientific Responsible for the Italian Ministry of Education’s project "The doping prevention in the young people" (2001)
- Member, Italian Scientific Commission against Doping (1992-1996, 1999-2000)
- Member, Scientific Commission for Italian Ministry of Education (2000-2001)
- Adviser to Italian Parliament for the law project against doping (2000)